September 2, 2011

Fall / Winter Essentials

Alright, I'm sure by now you're sick of me talking about how over summer I am. Well too bad. Just kidding. But seriously, I am. I'm impatiently waiting for the leaves to turn colors and that brisk cool air to arrive. Every now and then I peek out my window and see a slow breeze and think, "this is it, Fall is coming"- only to step outside and melt faster than a Popsicle. It's not that I don't like summer- camping, boating, parties, tanning, etc., it's that I despise - LOATHE actually,  the heat. It makes me completely lethargic and nonfunctional, not to mention that wearing makeup or any kind of hairstyle becomes pointless when you've got sweat dripping down your face.  But enough whining (for now).... until Fall/Winter actually arrives, I'll make do with planning my must haves to get me through the seasons. Below are some examples of the items I'm planning on stocking.

Sweaters:

Nothing gets me more excited for cold weather than the thought of bundling up in baggy, oversize sweaters. This is where my inner bum comes to the surface. The looser and floppier the fit, the better. I do like fitted or cable knits, but baggy is just the definition of comfort for me. Style tip: Looks great with skinny jeans, leggings, shorts, etc. But don't go too baggy on the bottom, especially if you're heavier. And bigger ladies should try to stick to a more fitted sweater to create a slimming effect.



from left to right: Dries Van Noten, 3.1 Philip Lim, Wildfox (also in red)

Statement Necklaces

If I'm going to be bumming around in baggy sweaters and layers, then small necklaces and chains are likely to be buried under the mass of fabrics, so bold necklaces are the way to go to add some interest and punch up your plain sweater. Style tip: If you're a bit too timid to wear a brightly colored necklace, try mixing different shades of gold and silver to add a little more sparkle to your jewelry- you create depth without having to go too out there with color.



from left to right: Marc Jacobs, Monsoon, Sabrina Dehoff


Colored Leather Jacket

I'm sure that mostly everyone has at least a black leather jacket in their closet, right? I have about three I think and could always use more. But this season I'm dying to get one in a different color for even more visual interest and badass-ness. I've always wanted a fire engine red one, but right now, I'm liking pretty much any shade. Style tip: Pair a cropped, colored leather jacket with a neutral maxi skirt for a feminine, yet edgy look.




from left to right: Balenciaga, Balmain, Matthew Williamson

Denim

I'm not talking plain denim jeans or jacket. Sure, they're a classic and a wardrobe staple, but what I've got my eye on is unique denim pieces- mixed with leather embellishments, asymmetrical cuts or draping, etc. Style tip: Take those worn, faded jeans or jacket and breathe new life into them by adding studs, chains, or dying them different shades. Avoid things like sequins or rhinestones however, unless you're going for an 80's look.



From left to right: Diesel, Alexander Wang, Alexander McQueen

Tartan Blazer

Long gone are the days when red tartan plaid was worn by Scots, punks and schoolgirls alone. Thanks to designers, this Christmas looking plaid is making a comeback.You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find blazers in this color though! I spent so much time looking and I could only find these two below that I liked- which of course I can't afford either. But I happened to find a vintage Pendleton one on Ebay, so I'm happy. Style tip: Pair with skinny denim and pointy toe heels for a chic look, cutoffs and flat boots and tights for a casual cool vibe, and black leather leggings or pants for a rocker look.

From left to right: McQ, Vivienne Westwood

Ankle Boots

Despite all the shoes I own, I'm still on the lookout for a perfect pair of ankle boots to kick around in, toss on at a minute's notice, and which goes with just about anything. Below are some contenders I've definitely got my eyes on. Style tip: if you've got shorter legs like me, shoes with a little bit of a heel give your legs a little extra length and create a subtle slimming line.



From left to right: Jeffrey Campbell, Sam Edelman (2)

Handbag

I love handbags as much as I love shoes (or anything else for that matter) but any that I own will have to be capable of taking a beating. Between carrying a baby in my arms or hurriedly running out the door, anything overly embellished will surely get caught on something or be pulled off, so I need something that can carry a lot, sling over my shoulder and is fairly undecorated. But this doesn't mean it has to be boring! I'm in love with all the bright shades bags are coming in lately, and a satchel or tote is perfect for running errands with while still being stylish. Style tip: Running late or not feeling like dressing up? A brightly colored handbag is a perfect way to dress up a t shirt and jeans without putting any effort into your look.




from left to right: Proenza Schouler, Asos (2)

Believe me, there's plenty more on my list, but thought I'd narrow it down a bit for your sakes. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to get all the money needed. What are your picks for the coming season?




RSS | Twitter | Facebook | Bloglovin' | Tumblr | Lookbook.nu | Chictopia