December 28, 2010

It's the Time of the Season

I'm long overdue for a post on here, but this time I have an acceptable excuse- my daughter was finally born! Tuesday, December 21st around 11 pm I started having some contractions and by 3am I was having enough regular contractions to warrant a trip to the hospital. Unfortunately, it was all back labor, which was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. Also, for some unknown reason that night just happened to be the same night that like 30 other women went into labor as well. I seriously thought I'd be sent home until I was further along, but I was determined not to leave until I had the baby, whether it be in the hallway or a broom closet. Luckily, I was dilating fairly quickly. Almost too quickly, in fact, as they didn't give me my epidural until I was 9cm along. I honestly thought I'd have her before the medicine kicked in, but once it did, it was like heaven. Honestly girls, if you're thinking about having natural births, then you're freaking Superwoman. However, the medicine worked too well, as I then had trouble pushing. Over an hour went by before she actually came out. Finally, at 8:26 am on December 22nd, Lia Rose Pilaczynski was born. She was 7lbs, 14 oz. and is 21" long. After she was born I spent the rest of the day in a drugged haze, with visitors trickling in and out. Sadly, we had to stay in the hospital for four days because had an infection, which was scary to hear, but luckily antibiotics cured it and we were allowed to go home on Christmas day. Best Christmas present ever. She is absolutely precious and easy to take care of as she's not fussy at all.

I've forgotten what real sleep feels like, both before and after the delivery have been difficult, and I'm have a hard time recovering, especially since I have guests visiting from Korea. The majority of my day is spent breastfeeding, changing diapers and desperately trying to catch a moment of sleep here and there. But it's all worth it for her. I think that within the next two weeks or so things should settle down a bit. I'm literally falling asleep as I'm writing this, so that's all for now. Hope everyone had an awesome Christmas, and have a Happy New Year as well, I know I will.